Our top priorities during this time are to keep visitors and staff safe and healthy; to keep the collection safe; and to maintain a connection with the community. The museum will be adhering to the following protocols based on State of Ohio protocols and museum best practices. In the event SHS cannot meet these guidelines (e.g. shortage of cleaning supplies, etc.), the museum will close to the public until proper protocols can be resumed.
Our new hours are:
The first hour of every open day is reserved for vulnerable and at-risk populations, and masks will be required by all visitors during this time. If you do not fall into this category, please wait to visit until after 12pm on Wednesdays-Fridays and 1pm on Saturdays.
Our Ohio History Connection-approved reopening guidelines can be downloaded here. A summary is listed below.
Keeping Staff & Visitors Safe
- Common areas and work stations will be cleaned/disinfected at the end of every work day.
- Employees are required to self check for symptoms every day and stay home if symptoms are present.
- Employees are required to wear masks.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance and welcome desk. There is also a bathroom near the entrance if you prefer to wash your hands with soap and water.
- Employees are required to wash/sanitize hands between visitors.
- A maximum of 5 individual visitors or 10 visitors in family groups will be allowed to tour the museum at one time. All tours are self-guided.
- Family groups will be limited to 5 people. Group tours are suspended until further notice.
- We are currently accepting walk-in visitors, but if visitorship exceeds the numbers we expect, appointments and/or timed tickets will be required.
What We Ask of Visitors
- We encourage visitors to wear masks to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Masks are required by all visitors during our hours for vulnerable and at-risk populations.
- Please consider non-cash payments and donations.
- Wash/sanitize your hands upon entering.
- Maintain 6-foot social distancing guidelines throughout the museum.
- Only one individual or family group will be allowed in each room at a time, and we ask that visitors patiently wait until others have left a room before entering.
- Browsing in the Spirit Tree gift shop is discouraged. If you are interesting in purchasing an item, staff will retrieve the item for you to process the transaction. We ask that visitors not touch any gift shop items until their transaction is complete and the item is bagged.
- Please adhere to social distancing guidelines when spending time on our grounds and at the picnic tables.
What to Expect at Events
- Masks will be required at indoor events.
- Events will be cancelled/postponed when social distancing isn't possible
- Events will be transitioned outdoors when possible.
- Site rentals are suspended until further notice.